Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Letter From Paul- Our Sergeant at Arms


Hello All,
I am Paul Brookhyser, the retired engineering technician, husband of 49 years, father of three adults ages 41, 37 and 35 and now part time youth minister of 18 students in the 7th and 8th grades Wednesday nights at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Newport. I joined Toastmasters in 1983 to organize my competing thoughts and ideas and to help the then young and upcoming engineers I worked with to gain confidence and self esteem in all social communications.
My favorite thing about Yaquina Toastmasters is its humor and spontaneity.  The club members are genuinely concerned about the success and satisfaction of its newest members of any age. We all needed training wheels at one time and we all learned from our successes and our stumblings too. It is truly a thrill for me to see shy new members progress in their assignments and transform and learn to forgive themselves and others for their uniqueness.
My greatest personal reward for continuing in Toastmasters is the freedom it gives me to boldly try new things that my shyness has prevented in the past. I have gained freedom of expression. I have taught, acted on stage, song solos, and danced. Now when I meet new people I am enthusiastic about their lives and their learning.

Thanks for asking,
Paul

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul. I don’t remember you being shy back in our college days. Sounds as though You have had many successes in your life. I am glad you have been happy. Wishing you and your family a Blessed And Merry Christmas Season. Judy Brummel Eddolls

    ReplyDelete