Monday, September 19, 2016

Meet the Secretary

Marisa pictured on far left

My name is Marisa Litz. I am a PhD candidate in Fisheries Science at Oregon State University studying salmon ocean ecology at the Hatfield Marine Science Center with collaborators from NOAA Fisheries. My work is aimed at understanding how environmental variability impacts interactions between juvenile salmon and their prey in the nearshore ocean. When I'm not studying, I enjoy surfing and spending time with my husband Greg and my two dogs Gilbert and McKenzie.
I joined Toastmasters to improve my public speaking and to be better equipped to think on my feet and respond to questions in a thoughtful and precise manner. In Toastmasters, I like interacting with and getting to know members of the community with whom I otherwise wouldn't have a chance to meet.I always enjoy our holiday meeting in December when we exchange interesting gifts in a white elephant gift exchange, and develop table topics around the weird and wonderful gifts that are opened.
I would encourage new members to set a goal for themselves to finish the Competent Communicator manual before giving up. I would also like to remind them what a great sense of accomplishment it is to complete the manual. And I know 7 am is early in the morning, but it is a wonderful feeling to know that you have already been productive and learned something, helped someone, or honed your own skills by 8 am on a Tuesday morning before most people have even started their day.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment