Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Meet the Vice President of PR

Lauralee
My name is Lauralee Norris, and I am a college student at Oregon Coast Community College. For school, I am completing my associates so I can go to Oregon State to become a dietitian. I work as a funeral assistant, and webmaster for Bateman and Affordable Burial and Cremation funeral homes. Last winter I joined Toastmasters when I was taking a communications class. We needed to speak in front of an audience of five or more people, and my dad said I could come to Toastmasters meetings with him. After being able to give my speeches at Toastmasters, I decided to stay on as a member.

I enjoy going to Toastmasters and giving speeches. It helps me get used to being before an audience, and be more confident. Being in Toastmasters also has helped me think faster on my feet, which has been useful for scholarships, daily life, and work. My favorite thing about Toastmasters is being able to go through the manuals and track my growth. The group is really supportive, and friendly. If you are thinking about joining us, there are several new members who are going through their competent communicator as well, so you won't be alone in learning about your speaking habits, or in your attempt to stop saying umm. At Yaquina Newport Toastmasters, we have a variety of people, from NOAA scientists, to people who are retired, to a writer and a teacher, so you are likely to find someone you can relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment